In this tutorial, we will teach you how to create a WordPress website in 5 simple and easy steps and under 20 mins. WordPress is beginner-friendly and non-technical.
Using WordPress is one of the most most-preferred and popular way to create a website for beginners.
The reasons why we chose WordPress –
- WordPress powers 32% of all the websites on the World Wide Web(www).
- WordPress is the most popular and user-friendly Content Management System(CMS) in the world.
A Brief Introduction About WordPress
In this tutorial, we have selected WordPress as our preferred platform to create a website. That’s because of the reasons listed below.
WordPress was first released in the year 2003 by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. Since then, it has evolved into the most used Content Management System(CMS) in the world.
With every new release and version update over the years, WordPress has been growing drastically. It has become the first choice for beginners to create a website or start a blog.
27% of the internet is powered by WordPress. Considering that the number of total active websites is estimated at over 172 million according to a survey published by Netcraft, that means that around 75,000,000 websites are using WordPress right now.
WordPress 4.7 has been downloaded over 19,700,000 times and it is available in over 50 languages.
WordPress content is published in over 120 different languages. WordPress sites make up 14.7% of the top 100 websites in the world.
It is the fastest-growing web publication software. That’s because, unlike Website Builders(Jimdo, Weebly, etc.) and some CMS’s which are paid services, WordPress is absolutely free.
And the best part which I forgot to mention is that it takes 1 single click and less than a minute to install WordPress. It’s that simple and very user-friendly.
There are 3000+ free themes and 48,500+ free plugins on WordPress
In WordPress, a theme is a collection of templates and style sheets used to define the appearance and display of a WordPress powered website.
A WordPress theme changes the design of your website, often including its layout. Changing your theme changes how your site looks on the front-end, i.e. what a visitor sees when they browse to your site on the web.
There are themes for almost every kind of business and profession that you could possibly think of. There are dedicated themes for restaurants, schools, small businesses, doctors, photographers, etc.
WordPress plugins are similar to apps that allow you to add new features and functionality to your WordPress website. Exactly the same way as apps do for your smartphone.
So, without any further delay let’s start creating your first website.
Please note – If you get stuck at any of the steps while using this guide (which I highly doubt), don’t hesitate to contact me – I’ll be glad to assist and solve your issues.
This guide is specifically drafted for beginners. It is a complete A-Z beginner’s guide on How To Create a WordPress Website. You don’t need to be technically sound or well-versed with programming languages(HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.) to follow our guide.
Our tutorial explains and thoroughly discusses the 5 simple steps to create a WordPress website in a very simple language which is easy to understand for people of all age groups.
5 Simple Steps To Create A WordPress Website
- Choose a fast and reliable web hosting plan
- Register a domain name for your website
- Install WordPress in a single click
- Design and customize your website
- Create pages, posts and upload content
Step 1 - Select A Web Hosting Service
For beginners who don’t know what web hosting is, in simple words, it is the storage space where the files for your website are uploaded, installed and stored.
Just like a computer or a smartphone comes with a hard drive or inbuilt storage where you can save, store and download files, music or videos and access or view them later.
In a similar way, the files for your website are stored in a server. The service provided by the web hosting companies to store files on their server and host your website is known as web hosting.
There are 6 types of web hosting –
- Shared hosting
- Virtual Private Server(VPS) hosting
- Dedicated Server hosting
- Reseller hosting
- Cloud hosting
- WordPress hosting
Shared hosting(Linux) and WordPress hosting are the best and cheapest options for beginners and small businesses.
The other options are for big blogs, medium and large businesses/enterprises and large organizations.
Shared and WordPress hosting fulfill the requirement in the most economical way as a new website doesn’t get a lot of visitors or traffic.
I would recommend beginners and small businesses to get a WordPress hosting plan as we will be using WordPress to build our website.
WordPress hosting plan is designed specifically for those websites that run on WordPress.
Web hosting plays a very crucial role in the performance of your website. A fast loading and better performing website will attract more traffic.
Therefore, you need to take a wise decision by going with a web hosting provider which is considered to be the best and has a large customer base.
I would recommend beginners and small businesses to go with A2 Hosting.
Please note :- (If you want to explore other options, then I would recommend you to read this article where we have reviewed and ranked the best web hosting companies in India 2019.)
Founded in the year 2001, A2 hosting is based out of Michigan. A2 Hosting currently has data centers/servers located in USA (Michigan), USA (Arizona), Europe (Amsterdam) and Asia (Singapore). Their customer base consists of people from all over the world.
As they have servers/data centers globally, you are guaranteed to get a very high speed hosting for your website.
A2 Hosting is also recommended by WordPress. Their website claims that their hosting packages are up to 20X faster as they use turbo servers for fastest WordPress hosting.
They also provide a pre-configured Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate absolutely free with every WordPress hosting plan.
A2 Hosting is trusted by millions of satisfied consumers worldwide.
They offer very affordable and cheap web hosting services with 24/7 technical assistance/customer support.
Their WordPress hosting plans start from just ₹271 per month. WordPress is pre-installed so, you don’t even need to install WordPress.
To select a hosting plan, please visit A2 hosting. Click on WordPress hosting from the main menu which will take you to page with all the WordPress hosting plans.
Select the plan which best suits your needs. You can go for the “LITE” plan which is the cheapest if you want to create and host just 1 single website.
There is also something known as Managed WordPress hosting which will cost a bit more. In Managed WordPress hosting, A2 will update the WordPress themes and plugins installed. They will also take care of the maintenance and security of your website.
After selecting a plan, it will ask you to register a domain name for your website. In our next step, we have discussed domain name in detail.
Step 2 - Register A Domain Name
The next step is to register a domain name for your website. You cannot create a website without a domain name and a web hosting service.
For beginners who don’t know what a domain name is, it is the name or address of your website. Examples of some of the most popular domain names are www.google.com, www.youtube.com, www.amazon.in, etc.
A domain name can be only letters, only numbers or a combination of both. If you are targeting visitors or traffic from all over the world then you should register a domain name that ends with .com, .net, .org, .info or .xyz.
If your target audience is from a particular country then you can also register a domain name with the extension which is specific to that country. For example, .in or .co.in is for India, .au or .co.au for Australia, similarly .uk or .co.uk for the United Kingdom and so on.
There are also many new domain extensions such as .app, .club, .cloud, .online, .life, .site, .shop etc. You can use them as well if any of these new extensions are relevant or specific to your website or business.
Getting a good or generic domain name is not easy. Most of the popular and common domain names are already taken or used.
There are two ways to come up with a good domain name if you haven’t decided yet or don’t have one in mind. One way is to think of a word which is completely made up by you. It’s all right even if the word doesn’t have any meaning or is not in the dictionary.
Some famous examples are Facebook, YouTube, Google, etc. These words are not taken from the dictionary but are known by everyone worldwide.
The other way is to use a domain name suggestion tool or generator. These tools can help you to get a suitable domain name based on the keywords that you select.
Few things to keep in mind while registering your domain name
- Try to keep it as short as possible
- Use keywords which are relevant to your website or business
- Make it easy to pronounce and memorable
- Try avoiding numbers and hyphen
- Include city or state name if its a local business or website
After selecting a web hosting plan, A2’s website will ask you to select and register a domain name for your website. You will also have to check if the domain name selected by you has not already been taken by someone else. If it’s not available, you will have to select another one.
After that, you will be directed to the billing page. You can choose the billing cycle for your web hosting plan. Minimum period is for a month and the maximum would be for 36 months.
In my recommendation, going for at least a 12-month billing cycle would save a lot of money. The coupon “SOFAST!” will be auto-applied so you will get a one time discount of 51% by default on the total amount of your bill.
You can also select some add-on products and add to your cart. But in my opinion, you don’t really need any of the add-ons. Lets’ Encrypt SSL certificate is completely free. A2 website builder is also not required as we will be building our website on WordPress.
But do remember to select the server location as Asia(Singapore). If the majority of your visitors are from India and other Asian countries then you will the best performance and highest speed out of web hosting plan as Singapore would be the nearest server location.
Also, please make a note of the user name and password of your homepage. Simultaneously, you can add it to the saved password list on your browser.
Click on continue, and then click on checkout. Before checking out, you will have to fill your details.
You can use a debit/credit card, PayPal, bank wire transfer, etc, to make the payment.
A2 Hosting provides a hassle-free money-back guarantee. If you are not happy or satisfied with the services, just cancel your account within your first 30-days for a full refund, or anytime after for a prorated refund of unused service after 30-days.
To add to that, their team of technical experts provides 24/7 support/customer service.
After completing the purchase you need to login to your A2 account with the registered email address and the password that you had created while registration to start creating your WordPress website.
Step 3 - Create Your First WordPress Website
Most Used Website Builders/Content Management Stystems(CMS) in 2019
As you can see in the table below, in 2019, the most popular website builders (or content management systems) are:
- WordPress (free) 51%
- Wix (paid) 7%
- Joomla (free) 4%
- Squarespace (paid) 4%
- Weebly (paid) 2%
There are plenty of good Content Management Systems(CMS) and website builders. But we chose WordPress to create your first website. Unlike other CMS’s and website builders, its absolutely free.
There are a few reasons why we would recommend every beginner and small business to use WordPress. WordPress has received more than 196 million downloads so far.
Around 75 million websites are using WordPress worldwide. Around 37 million websites are being hosted on the WordPress.com shared hosting installation.
It is the most popular and user-friendly Content Management System(CMS) with tons of free themes and plugins. You also have the option to go for paid themes and plugins if the freebies don’t fulfill your requirement.
Ideally, free themes and plugins are more than enough to create an awesome and fully responsive website.
After making the payment and checking out successfully, A2 hosting will assign you a control panel for your website. You need to login to the control panel to access your WordPress admin account.
And to access the control panel or cPanel for short, you need to login to your A2 hosting customer portal.
There are two ways to log in to a cPanel account:
Access cPanel through the A2 Hosting Customer Portal. This is the preferred method because you can access cPanel without having to remember a special URL or domain name.
Access cPanel directly.
Method #1: Access cPanel through the A2 Hosting Customer Portal
To access cPanel through the Customer Portal, follow these steps:
Log in to the Customer Portal.
On the menu bar, click Services, and then click MY SERVICES:
Under My Products & Services, locate your hosting package, and then click Manage:
In the Actions sidebar, click Login to cPanel:
In a separate window, the Customer Portal automatically logs you into your cPanel account.
Method #2: Access cPanel directly
To log in to cPanel directly, follow these steps:
In your web browser, type the cPanel address for your web site. The address is either http://www.example.com:2082 or https://www.example.com:2083, http://cpanel.example.com or http://www.example.com/cpanel, where example.com is your domain.
The cPanel login page appears:
In the Username text box, type your A2 Hosting account username. In the Password text box, type your A2 Hosting account password.
Click Log in. When you enter the correct username and password, the cPanel home screen appears.
The cPanel looks like the image below
Now, to start creating your business website you need to click on WordPress – A2 Optimized icon.
After that, you need to login to your admin account for WordPress. To log in, you need to use the username and password which you have already made a note of in the previous step before checking out.
The interface of your WordPress admin account would look similar to the image below.
This is going to be one of the most visited pages that you will access on a regular basis. You can make any and every kind of changes to your website from your WordPress admin account.
As soon as you log in to your admin account you see the Dashboard which is loaded with multiple features and options to manage, organize and customize your website.
On the left side of the Dashboard, you can see multiple options such as Posts, Media, Pages, Comments, Appearance, Plugin, Settings, etc. You can explore all the options to make appropriate changes to your website as per your requirement.
An overview of the dashboard –
- Posts – This option enables you to add a new post, view existing posts and add different categories of posts. Posts can be articles, blogs, stories, news or info about your business.
- Media – This option enables you to add or view images and videos for your website. Images and videos are very important for your homepage, blogs, articles, info, etc.
- Links – This option enables you to add and save important links related to your website.
- Pages – This option enables you to add new pages to your website or view/edit existing pages. After creating a page, you can either use the Standard Editor or Beaver builder to build and design the page(add content, images, links, videos, etc.).
- Comments – This option enables you to approve/disapprove, mark as spam or delete the comments on your blog or articles.
- Ninja Forms – Ninja Forms lets you build awesome custom forms such as Contact us forms, Opt-in email forms, Ask a question forms, etc.
- Appearance – The way your website looks depends on the changes that you make within this option. Appearance lets you add/change/delete themes, add logo/favicon, select background color, primary theme color, header text color. You can add a background image, change homepage title and settings, change website layout, change header and footer settings from Appearance. Sidebars, customized menus, and widgets can also be added to your website from Appearance. Basically, any kind of changes to the design and appearance can be made from here.
- Plugins – This option enables you to add/delete/configure plugins. WordPress plugins are apps that allow you to add new features and functionality to your WordPress website. Exactly the same way as apps do for your smartphone.
- Users – This option lets you add a user as an admin and also update/change your admin profile. You can also view your website’s subscribers from users.
- Tools – This option lets you import/export all of your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts. You can also export and erase your personal data from tools.
- Settings – From settings, you can add/change your site title, tagline, WordPress Address (URL), Site Address (URL), your email address, site language, time zone, date and time format, etc.
Step 4 - Design & Customize Your Website's Appearance
An appealing design is very important for your website. It is not only a significant factor in your website’s popularity but it will also provide your visitors with good user experience.
Google also focuses more on user experience nowadays and it is one of the ranking factors for your website to appear in Google search results.
Your visitors will immediately leave and never return if your website’s design is not clean and attractive.
When we talk about enhancing the design of your WordPress website, we mean installing a good and fast loading theme.
There are thousands of free themes in WordPress that you can choose from and install. There are themes for almost every kind of business and profession that you could possibly think of.
From the Dashboard, click on Appearance and then click on themes. There you can see a list of pre-loaded themes.
You can add new themes. Click on install to activate the theme that you like.
Apart from adding and activating, you can also customize the color schemes of your themes. You can make changes to the color of the fonts, header, footer, background, etc. Click on customize below themes.
A menu with all the settings will open up. You can click on each of the settings to make any kind of changes to your website’s appearance.
You can upload a logo and favicon for your website from General settings.
You can add a background image, header image and also customize your primary menu, add a secondary menu, etc.
Basically, within the Appearance option, you can make any and every kind of changes to enhance the design and appearance of your website.
An overview of the Customize option –
- Layout – From the layout option, you can make changes to the appearance of the header, transparent header, footer, blog page, sidebar, as well as the size of containers in the web pages. You can also enable and disable breadcrumbs.
- Colors & Background – This option lets you make changes to the base colors of the theme, links, link hover, text, background, etc. You can also change the colors of the menu items in the header and footer section of your website.
- Typography – You can change the type, size, and weight of fonts from typography.
- Buttons – This option enables you to change the text color, text hover color, button background color, button background hover color, button radius, button size, etc. for theme and header buttons.
- Menu – From the menu option, you can create and add a primary menu as well as a secondary menu. You can also change the location and reorder the items in the menu from here.
- Widgets – You can add a variety of widgets from here to make your website look cooler. A widget is a small section within the website that adds a specific function to your website.
- Homepage Settings – You can select and set homepage and blog pages from this option.
- Additional CSS – You can customize and further enhance the appearance of your website using the Additional CSS option. But, you need to be well-versed with the CSS language. If you are a beginner then you can skip this option.
Please note – Changing themes won’t delete your previous posts, pages, and content. You can change themes as often as you want without having to worry about losing what you’ve created.
Step 5 - Create Pages, Posts & Upload Content
Finally, you need to create pages and posts for your website. Your visitors will know what your website or business is all about by browsing through your web pages.
You can create and add pages from the Pages option in the Dashboard. If you want to add articles to your blog, you can do that from the Posts option.
The most important pages for your website are
- Homepage – This page is all about introducing your website or business to your visitors. It is the most important page of your website as it contains vital information such as your business name, table of contents, information on products and services offered by your website, etc. It is also the main page of your website. You need to spend a substantial amount of time to design and write content for your homepage. Based on your homepage your visitors will decide whether or not to spend time on your website. An appealing and informative homepage will increase the curiosity of your visitors and give them a reason to browse through the other pages on your website.
- About us – On this page, you can write about your business/website history, background, and motto. You can also summarize your journey, achievements, and contributions. You can also add testimonials if you have any to prove the credibility of your products and services.
- Contact us – Include all the contact information on this page such as your business email address, phone number, Facebook page, Twitter handle, Instagram account, etc.
- Products/Services – This is your revenue generating page and the second most important page after the homepage. You need to create this page as neat and descriptive as you can. This page will work as the inventory or catalog of your website or business.
- Ask a question(optional) – You can add this page if you want to let your visitors ask questions. This page will make it convenient for you to answer the queries and clarify doubts that your visitors might have in regards to your products/services. This page might also help you in converting visitors into followers, promoters and potential customers.
- Blog(optional) – You can also write blogs about your products/services and target your visitors through content marketing. The blog posts will be very beneficial to provide information and educate your visitors to take decisions as customers.
To add and edit pages, look along the sidebar in the WordPress Dashboard for Pages -> Add New. After creating a page, you can either use the classic WordPress editor or a plugin for page builder to design and customize the page. There are various page builder plugins like Elementor, Beaver Builder, Divi Builder, etc. I would recommend beginners to use Elementor as it’s user-friendly and offers a wide variety of widgets in the free version as well.
After launching Elementor, you can insert Widgets, Heading, Texts, Images, templates and many other objects and elements in a page. Basically, you can drag and drop any feature that you want to add to a page.
You can add text, images and more to build the page you want from the text editor, then save it and click done. The text editor looks a lot like what you’ve maybe seen in Microsoft Word.
If you want to learn how to create a stunning web page using Elementor, you can watch a step-by-step tutorial video.
Well, there you are. You just created your first dynamic and fully responsive website using WordPress. I hope our guide was easy to follow and understand.
Now that you know how to create a WordPress website, you may also want to learn how to create a website using Wix, currently the most-popular website builder in the world.
Websites built on WordPress platform are responsive by default. You don’t need to create a mobile version or make any kind of changes to your website to make it mobile-friendly.
What is Responsive Web Design?
In simple terms, responsive web design is the process of designing and creating a website that is intuitive, adaptive and responsive. A responsive website can be accessed from any device with internet connectivity seamlessly irrespective of the screen size or resolution(be it a cell phone, desktop or iPad) . It provides a similar experience across all the devices.
Why A Responsive Web Design is Important?
We live in the 21st century where the easiest and most common mode of communication is using our cell phone. Can you imagine spending a day without your cell phone?
Almost everyone on this planet has access to a cell phone. So, imagine the number of mobile internet users around the world(especially India).
If your website is not responsive then you are missing a big part of the action especially, if you are a business. Majority of your potential clients and customers are searching for your products and services online using their cell phones.
Designing a responsive website for your business is very vital if you don’t want to drive away your prospects towards your competitors and lose business.